Monday, November 26, 2007

Say yes to peer pressure?


Say yes to peer pressure? I don’t think so…

Say no to peer pressure. That sounds familiar doesn’t it? I think I’ve heard that phrase in a no-smoking campaign sometime back. But let’s face it, how many times have we agreed to a friend’s request just because you do not know how to say no?

When someone is important to you, you will want to keep that person as happy as you possibly can, even if it means you have to go the extra mile. But before you agree to do something for someone else, think about what is in it for you. I am not telling you to be mercenary and expect rewards. What I am talking about here is looking after your own welfare. Would you have to survive on plain bread for the next month just because you want to buy that Christian Dior wallet which everyone else in class owns?

Everyone has felt pressured into doing something before. Here is my two cents worth, do not do something just because everyone else is doing it. Embrace yourself,, do not do things that you are not willing to do.

Just because all your friends are talking about their sex life doesn’t mean you have to give in to your boyfriend’s relentless requests to sleep with him.

I will end off here, but I will be talking about something that is close to our hearts in the next entry so do anticipate the next entry.